When you purchase through links on our website, we may earn a commission. Affiliate disclosure.
VELLO, the Austrian company behind the award-winning, folding e-bike the VELLO Bike+ has today announced an exciting new addition to their range of electric bikes – the VELLO SUB Smart Utility Bike. The SUB is one of the lightest electric cargo bikes ever built and is the culmination of years of knowledge and engineering expertise developed building the world’s best folding bikes as well as VELLO’s previous pioneering Cargo bike concept, the ‘Biquattro’.
The Vello SUB will initially be built in two different configurations – the top-of-the-range titanium model weighing in at just 24kg, and a chromoly steel version weighing 28kg. This low weight has been achieved by utilising VELLO’s minimalist approach to design, by stripping all the unnecessary weight from the frame and then matching it with some of the best quality bike components on the market.
The SUB is just as capable as much larger, heavier cargo bikes, with space for two passengers as well as a front cargo rack. With a total system load of 210kg, the SUB can act as a viable car replacement for trips to the supermarket and performing the morning school run.
Dimensions and portability
- Its standard bike length (180cm) means it can still be taken on a train or fitted to a bike rack for weekends away. A collapsible handlebar and folding pedals allow the SUB to be reduced in width to just 29cm, perfect for safe storage inside your home or apartment where storing a typical cargo bike would not be possible.
- Bosch Cargo Line Performance Motor: The SUB uses premium components including the latest 600W (250W Rated) Bosch Cargo Performance Line motor with 85 NM of torque that will make short work of getting multiple passengers and heavy cargo around town.
- 500Wh battery x 2: The motor is powered by two 500Wh Bosch batteries enabling a potential range of up to 250Km.
- Envoilo CVP: A Gates Carbon belt drive is matched with an Enviolo internal gearing system to offer a practically maintenance-free drivetrain with a 380% gearing range.
- Magura hydraulic brakes: The four-piston Magura MT-4 hydraulic brakes are of the highest quality and will offer unparalleled stopping power to ensure safe operation when carrying heavy loads.
Quick-release accessory system
- A key part of the design process was to make the bike as versatile as possible. To address this VELLO has developed a tool-free, quick-release accessory system that enables you to change the configuration of your SUB quickly and easily. Furthermore, child seats and cargo baskets can be quickly fitted and removed tool-free thanks to the MIK HD safety system that saves you from fiddling with complicated brackets or mounting systems.
- Ultrawide 20” Schwalbe tyres help keep the centre of gravity low and provide a stable, safe and easy-to-manoeuvre bike regardless of whether it’s loaded with cargo or passengers. These tyres also offer excellent puncture protection, giving you extra peace of mind when out running errands.
The technical specifications below apply to all VELLO SUB models:
- Motor: Bosch®/Performance Line CX (Cargo Line)/GEN4/85 Nm/Smart System (GPS-tracking-ready)
- Battery: Bosch®/1x 400 Wh PowerPack/ Dual Battery Ready (possible upgrade to 500 Wh and an extra 500 Wh battery)
- Belt drive: Gates Carbon Drive/CDX/168T • Front belt pulley: belt, Gates Carbon Drive/CDX/ 60T • Rear belt pulley: belt, Gates Carbon Drive/CDX/ 22T (with gears, optional) or 19T (Single Speed)
- Tyres: Wide 20’’ Schwalbe Big Apple 20×2.15 (55-406) for extra stability and comfort
- Brake system front/rear: Magura®/MT4/ Four-piston disc brakes
- Brake disc front/rear: Magura®/MDR-C/160mm/6-hole mount
- Gearshift (with gears – optional): Enviolo/TR
- Front light: Supernova/Mini 2-LDM (StVZO-approval)
- Rear lighting: Supernova/TL3 Pro with brake light function for more safety
- Rear luggage carrier (cannot be separated from the frame): Load carrier with payload 100kg/Aluminium/with integrated MIK-HD System/Footboard-ready
- MIK-HD integration: compatible with all MIK and MIK-HD accessories, amongst other tool-free mountings of up to 2 children seats • Front carrier adapter system: enables tool-free mounting of various front carriers and bags (carrier block included)
- Front carrier adapter system: enables tool-free mounting of various front carriers and bags (carrier block included)
- Permissible total weight: 210 kg (463 pounds)
- Dimensions folded: H:85 cm (33,46 in) x L:180 cm (70,8 in) x W:29 cm (11,4 in)
When is the Vello Sub available?
VELLO SUB will be available to pre-order on Indiegogo from the 18th October with an expected delivery date of autumn 2023. Indiegogo backers will receive exclusive pre-order prices starting at £2999 for the single-speed configuration and £3499 with gears. The VELLO SUB Titanium will be available for preorder at £3749 in single-speed configuration and £4249 with gears.
I’m really excited about this new cargo e-bike from Vello. I’m hoping to get ahold of a Vello SUB early in the new year for a full review and YouTube video. These kinds of bikes are going to be a big feature in the future of urban transport. They’re so versatile and can be used for anything from taking the kids to school, shopping, food delivery job or just riding for the fun of it!
The spec looks fantastic, and the price is competitive. The Vello SUB is going to be a strong contender for the best compact utility e-bike on the market and will definitely give well-established e-bikes like the Tern GSD S10 a run for their money.
VELLO has a history of successful Indiegogo campaigns, with the original bike and VELLO Bike+ being supported by nearly 500 backers to the tune of over £800,000.
Watch this space for a full review of the Vello SUB early in 2023.